Left a beautiful, safe harbor at Northport, MI this morning. Started out with quartering seas on the stern (that means that the waves were hitting the back quarter panel of the boat) and 1 foot waves. Very comfortable and relaxing ride for the first 2 hours. We thought when we got around Lelanaupoint that we would be in the Lee of the wind. That is like being in the shadow and the water is very calm. But then the wind shifted and we were taking it on the bow. Then we were getting that bucking bronco ride. We knew that the winds were predicted to build throughout the day so had decided that we would go into Frankfort rather than try to make it across the lake. 6 hours of pounding 4 to 6 foot waves later we finally got off the lake. Only one of the 3 refrigerators on board fell over and only one bottle of beer broke. We ended up setting the little frig on its back just to keep everything in it. At one point Dick had Abby and I go downstairs. She was really getting tossed around and I was freaking out a little. You know that feeling you get when there are no choices but to continue on? I was there.
Glad to be in the calm peaceful port of Frankfort. People are hunkering down here thinking we could be here for 4 more days waiting for the weather/lake to calm down.
I also came to the realization today that Abby always was a boat dog. We're just finding that out. I don't think she liked today but she used good judgement about moving around and has good sea legs on her. She sometimes has more sense than I do.
lesson for the day....trust your captain.
No comments:
Post a Comment